The Education and Flag Committee of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas conduct an annual Outstanding Fourth (4th) Grade Texas History Teacher Contest and an Outstanding Seventh (7th) Grade Texas History Teacher Contest.
2016 Contest Winners
1. Outstanding 4th Grade History Teacher Award – Cynthia Claybourn Walker, Brock Elementary School, Brock; Sponsored by Frances Cooke Van Zandt Chapter, Ft. Worth, District II
2. Outstanding 7th Grade History Teacher Award – Ramona Miller, Grapevine Faith Christian School, Grapevine; Isaac Low Chapter, Euless, District II
INSTRUCTIONS: The teacher should prepare an application that includes the information found in Nos. 1-4 below. The District Representative must receive the Chapter’s winning application no later than March 1st.
1. Cover page should include:
- Teacher’s name and grade taught
- Name of school, address, and city
- Name of principal
- “The Daughters of The Republic of Texas”
- Sponsoring DRT chapter and city
- Chapter contact person and telephone number
2. Letters of recommendation, limit of four.
3. Applicant’s curriculum vitae/résumé.
4. The applicant should submit his/her thoughts about teaching; about Texas history; manner of instruction in the classroom; innovations conceived and executed for 4th or 7th graders; and, response of the students. This should be typed on 8½” by 11″ paper. On a computer, use 12 to 14 point type.
5. The winning teacher will receive a $750 award and will be invited to attend the DRT Convention. DRT is not responsible for expense incurred to attend. However, the teacher and a guest will be guests of DRT at the Historical Evening dinner.
The awards will be presented by the 5th Vice President General.