The building was originally the law library of William Pitt Ballinger, father of co-founder, Miss Betty Ballinger. Now known as the Cradle, it is cherished by The Daughters as the place where Miss Ballinger and her first cousin, Mrs. Hally Bryan Perry, formulated the idea for their new organization which would become The Daughters of the Republic of Texas. The Cradle was restored in 1993-95 to reflect the original furnishings of the late 1800s.
Text of Texas Historical Marker
Building in which in 1891 Misses Betty Ballinger and Hally Bryan founded the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, a society for historical preservation. This Victorian structure was then library of “The Oaks,” family home of the founders, who were descendants of William H. Jack, a soldier in 1836 Texas victory at San Jacinto and an official of the Republic. First president (1891-1908) of D. R. T. was widow of last Texas president, Anson Jones.
The Cradle is open by appointment only. Contact the Cradle Chairman, Linda Cooper at 409-938-8053 or email email@example.com .
2902 Avenue 0 1/2
Corner of O 1/2 Street and 29th Street
P.O. Box 3268
Galveston, TX 77552