A Vision for the 21st Century
The Daughters of the Republic of Texas (DRT) has owned the property adjacent to the French Legation Museum since May, 2013. By building the Republic of Texas Museum and business offices on this property, DRT will create the Republic of Texas History Center, a visit to three museums – The French Legation Museum, The Republic of Texas Museum, and the Children’s Interactive Museum. The Center will provide a larger, more appropriate setting for exhibits, educational programs, conferences, and other festivities. In this way, DRT will better serve the State of Texas and visitors seeking to learn about and appreciate the fascinating history of the State of Texas.
The Daughters currently provide educational programs on our rich Texas history for children of all ages and other special groups in a building located in North Austin near the intersection of Interstate Highway 35 and U. S. Highway 183 under the overpass. This is also the site of the DRT’s business operations and the Republic of Texas Museum. Originally commercial in nature, the building was not designed as a museum. Also, it is outside of the Museum District, is difficult for visitors to find, and does not have adequate parking for school buses and larger groups.
The French Legation on historic Robertson Hill has been managed since 1949 by The Daughters of the Republic of Texas, and became the French Legation Museum in 1956. The site is centrally located near downtown Austin at 802 San Marcos Street.
Participate in the following activities for this project by clicking on the following links:
- Purchase an engraved individual, chapter or corporate paver that will become a part of the Trail of Ancestors on the property (Deadline for Paver Purchases is May 1, 2017)
- Purchase naming opportunities for the Republic of Texas History Center areas:
- Access a Republic of Texas History Center Pledge Form
- Click here to see the most recent drawings/floor plans for the Republic of Texas History Center.
- Flag Contest and Rules for DRT Chapters (Contest ends May 1, 2017)
- DRT Approved Ancestor Paver Contest & Guidelines (Contest ends May 1, 2017)
- Listing of Purchased DRT Approved Ancestors (updated February 2017)