The Education and Flag Committee of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas conduct an annual Texas History Essay Contest for Fourth (4th) Grade Students and a Texas History Essay Contest for Seventh (7th) Grade Students.
Essay Winners for 2016
1. (4th) Grade Essay Winner – Max Grinstein, Beth Yeshurun Day School, Houston; Sponsored by the Miss Ima Hogg Chapter, Houston, District VI
2. (7th) Grade Essay Winner – Mark Hillman, Sweeny Junior High, Sweeny; Sponsored by the Cradle of Texas Chapter, Freeport, District IX
Essay Topics for 2017
Topics of the Texas History Essays have been chosen by the DRT Education & Flag Committee with input from the 5th Vice President General, and Chapters will be notified no later than thirty days after Convention.
Fourth Grade – “Sam Houston”
Seventh Grade –“Samuel Maverick”
Deadline: The District Representative must receive the winning chapter essays no later than March 1st.
- Typed essays are to be double-spaced on 8½” by 11″ paper, using “Times New Roman” font, size 12. Top and bottom page margins are to be on inch, with side margins being 1.25 inches. Essays must be submitted in English.
- * Fourth Grade Essay – The body of the essay can be no less than 1½ pages. No word count requirements.
- * Seventh Grade Essay – The body of the essay can be no less than 2½ pages. No word count requirements.
- Handwritten essays are to be double-spaced on 8½” by 11″ paper. Essays must be submitted in English.
- * Fourth Grade Essay – Word count should be between 500 and 525 words.
- * Seventh Grade Essay – Word count should be between 800 and 825 words.
- A minimum of four (4) references are needed – no more than 2 may be Internet references. Research references should be listed on a separate page, but not counted as part of the essay length.
- Cover page should include:
- * Name of student and state whether Fourth or Seventh grade
- * Name of school, address, and city
- * Title of the essay
- * The Daughters of The Republic of Texas
- * Name of sponsoring DRT Chapter and city
- * Chapter Contact Person and telephone number