The Education and Flag Committee of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas conduct an annual Texas History Essay Contest for Fourth (4th) Grade Students and a Texas History Essay Contest for Seventh (7th) Grade Students.
Texas History Essay Topics for 2014
Topics of the Texas History Essays have been chosen by the DRT Education & Flag Committee with input from the 5th Vice President General, and Chapters will be notified no later than thirty days after Convention.
Fourth Grade – (1) William Barrett Travis or (2) the letter “Victory or Death”
Seventh Grade – (1) William Barrett Travis and the impact of the letter “Victory or Death”
Deadline: Each sponsoring chapter sets their own deadline for receiving the submitted essays. This is usually the month before they are due to their District Representatives. This gives them time to judge the winning essays for their chapter. So, be sure to contact the chapter for their actual deadline. Then the chapters submit their winning essays to the District Representative to be judged. The District Representative must receive the winning chapter’s essays no later than March 2nd.
- Typed essays are to be double-spaced on 8½” by 11″ paper, using “Times New Roman” font, size 12. Top and bottom page margins are to be on inch, with side margins being 1.25 inches. Essays must be submitted in English.
- * Fourth Grade Essay - The body of the essay can be no less than 1½ pages. No word count requirements.
- * Seventh Grade Essay – The body of the essay can be no less than 2½ pages. No word count requirements.
- Handwritten essays are to be double-spaced on 8½” by 11″ paper. Essays must be submitted in English.
- * Fourth Grade Essay – Word count should be between 500 and 525 words.
- * Seventh Grade Essay – Word count should be between 800 and 825 words.
- A minimum of four (4) references are needed – no more than 2 may be Internet references. Research references should be listed on a separate page, but not counted as part of the essay length.
- Cover page should include:
- * Name of student and state whether Fourth or Seventh grade
- * Name of school, address, and city
- * Title of the essay
- * The Daughters of The Republic of Texas
- * Name of sponsoring DRT Chapter and city
- * Chapter Contact Person and telephone number