The Education and Flag Committee of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas conduct an annual Texas History Essay Contest for Fourth (4th) Grade Students and a Texas History Essay Contest for Seventh (7th) Grade Students.
Essay Contest & Teacher Award Winners for 2016
1. (4th) Grade Essay Winner – Max Grinstein, Beth Yeshurun Day School, Houston; Sponsored by the Miss Ima Hogg Chapter, Houston, District VI
2. (7th) Grade Essay Winner – Mark Hillman, Sweeny Junior High, Sweeny; Sponsored by the Cradle of Texas Chapter, Freeport, District IX
Texas History Essay Topics for 2017
Seventh Grade – “Samuel Maverick”
Deadline: Each sponsoring chapter sets their own deadline for receiving the submitted essays. This is usually the month before they are due to their District Representatives. This gives them time to judge the winning essays for their chapter. So, be sure to contact the chapter for their actual deadline. Then the chapters submit their winning essays to the District Representative to be judged. The District Representative must receive the winning chapter’s essays no later than March 1st.
- Typed essays are to be double-spaced on 8½” by 11″ paper, using “Times New Roman” font, size 12. Top and bottom page margins are to be on inch, with side margins being 1.25 inches. Essays must be submitted in English.
- * Fourth Grade Essay – The body of the essay can be no less than 1½ pages. No word count requirements.
- * Seventh Grade Essay – The body of the essay can be no less than 2½ pages. No word count requirements.
- Handwritten essays are to be double-spaced on 8½” by 11″ paper. Essays must be submitted in English.
- * Fourth Grade Essay – Word count should be between 500 and 525 words.
- * Seventh Grade Essay – Word count should be between 800 and 825 words.
- A minimum of four (4) references are needed – no more than 2 may be Internet references. Research references should be listed on a separate page, but not counted as part of the essay length.
- Cover page should include:
- * Name of student and state whether Fourth or Seventh grade
- * Name of school, address, and city
- * Title of the essay
- * The Daughters of The Republic of Texas
- * Name of sponsoring DRT Chapter and city
- * Chapter Contact Person and telephone number