The Education and Flag Committee, with the Fifth Vice President General as chairman, is charged with the responsibility of stimulating interest in early Texas history, especially in our State schools, colleges and universities. This committee sponsors two Texas History Essay contests:
- Fourth Grade Texas History Essay Contests for students
- Seventh Grade Texas History Essay Contests for students
At DRTâ€™s Annual Convention, the monetary awards shall be presented by the Fifth Vice President General to:
- Winner of 4th Grade Texas History Essay Contest: $300.00
- Winner of 7th Grade Texas History Essay Contest: $300.00
Essay Topics for 2014
Topics of the Texas History Essays have been chosen by the DRT Education & Flag Committee with input from the 5th Vice President General, and Chapters will be notified no later than thirty days after Convention.
Fourth Grade â€“ William Barrett Travis or the letter “Victory or Death”
Seventh Grade â€“ William Barrett Travis and the impact of the letter “Victory or Death”
Contest Rules for 2014
Deadline: Each sponsoring chapter sets their own deadline for receiving the submitted essays. This is usually the month before they are due to their District Representatives. This gives them time to judge the winning essays for their chapter. So, be sure to contact the chapter for their actual deadline. Then the chapters submit their winning essays to the District Representative to be judged. The District Representative must receive the winning chapter’s essays no later than March 2, 2013.
The Frances Cooke Van Zandt Chapter deadline is: January 13, 2014
- Typed essays are to be double-spaced on 8Â½â€ by 11â€³ paper, using â€œTimes New Romanâ€ font, size 12. Top and bottom page margins are to be on inch, with side margins being 1.25 inches. Essays must be submitted in English.
- * Fourth Grade Essay – The body of the essay can be no less than 1Â½ pages. No word count requirements.
- * Seventh Grade Essay â€“ The body of the essay can be no less than 2Â½ pages. No word count requirements.
- Handwritten essays are to be double-spaced on 8Â½â€ by 11â€³ paper. Essays must be submitted in English.
- * Fourth Grade Essay â€“ Word count should be between 500 and 525 words.
- * Seventh Grade Essay â€“ Word count should be between 800 and 825 words.
- A minimum of four (4) references are needed â€“
- *No more than 2 may be Internet references.
- *Research references should be listed on a separate page, but not counted as part of the essay length.
- Cover page should include:
- * Name of student and state whether Fourth or Seventh grade
- * Name of school, address, and city
- * Title of the essay
- * The Daughters of The Republic of Texas
- * Name of sponsoring DRT Chapter and city
- * Chapter Contact Person and telephone number
For more information please contact the Frances Cooke Van Zandt Chapter.